Apples, Blackberries, Blackcurrants, Cherry, Gooseberry, Medlar Trees, Mulberry Charlotte Russe, Pears, Plums, Quince, Raspberries, Red Currants, Strawberries
Asparagus, Beetroot, Broad Bean, Broccoli Purple Sprouting, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage (spring and summer), Cauliflower, Carrots, Courgettes, Cucumber - Ridge, French Beans, Kale, Kohlrabi, Leek, Lettuce, Mustard, Planting onion sets, Onions from seed, Parsnips, Peas, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Radish, Rhubarb, Runner Beans, Shallots, Spinach, Squash, Swede, Sweetcorn, Sweet Peppers, Sweet Potatoes, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes
All Plant Reviews (10+)
MANTIS ELECTRIC TILLER
The Mantis electric tiller is ideal for those who want a very light-weight machine that can not only be lifted in and out of a car boot easily but can also be used in smaller areas without disturbing nearby plants. There is no messy petrol with this model, simply plug it into the socket, click the switch and you have a reasonably powerful (0.75hp) three speed tiller. This tiller can't break up compacted soil but it will do a good job on even clay soils as long as they are not very wet.
There are cheaper alternatives on the market but with a Mantis tiller you are buying a product from a company which has been in the UK for over 25 years with a proven track record. The five year guarantee (a lifetime guarantee comes as standard on the tines) is a good sign that this is a tiller which will last for many years.
The key facts for the Mantis electric tiller are:
22.5cm / 9in
25cm / 10in
9.5kg / 21lbs
Height adjustable handles
Guarantee / warranty
Postage and packing
Free UK mainland
Model website page
THE GOOD POINTS:
- Very lightweight, can easily be lifted and used around plants
- The handles can be folded making it compact for storage
- Tines can be reversed for weeding. This decreases the tilling depth
to avoid damaging the roots of nearby plants.
- The tines keep the machine much more stable compared to other
- Sufficiently powerful for small gardens
- Spare parts are readily available and relatively cheap
- One of the best warranties available. Five year product guarantee,
lifetime guarantee on the tines and a one year trial period
- An extensive range of accessories for this model includes, lawn aerator, de-thatcher, wheel kit, border edger.
POINTS TO CONSIDER:
- The cord length is only 10 metres, an extension cord will probably be needed
- If using on grass, mow it first. Long grass clogs up the mechanism
- Will not till compacted soil
- Assembly is not difficult but not simple either. Mantis offer a
"ready assembled" option at a price.
WHO ARE MANTIS?
Mantis started business in the US and began to sell their tillers in the UK in 1990. They now sell their products worldwide including Canada, Europe and even China. Their UK head office is based in Stockport Cheshire where they have a large shop to showcase and sell their entire range of gardening goods.
When designing their tillers the emphasis is on reliability, maintainability and practicality. The machines can be maintained and repaired by the average handyman and their spare parts system is very user-friendly. They are a company with a proven track record for customer service. Their website is well laid out and contacting them by phone, email or post is simple.
WHERE TO BUY A MANTIS ELECTRIC TILLER
Mantis tillers are available to buy through the company's main website or through other online companies. Check the prices carefully because often the main website is cheaper than other online companies. For example, at the time of writing this article the recommended retail price is £329.
Getting spare parts for your Mantis tiller is simplicity itself because the manuals are very detailed and the spare part numbers are not a "state" secret as they can be with Honda for instance.